Wednesday 22 April 2009

Carbon Footprint

I calculated my carbon footprint at http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/&

it was 3.22.Most of the students had parallel, or higher, figures. The average figure for CRE was about 3.87. The main factors which contributed to my figure were classified as:

1) travel 2) stuff 3) home

My personal carbon footprint is the GHG (greenhouse gases) emissions that I individually am responsible for. However, companies, institutions, ADMC, and countries all have carbon footprints. The UAE's carbon footprint per capita is the highest in the world.

What can I do to decrease my carbon footprint?

I don't spend a lot on consumer goods, or travel.

Bathroom products are the main contributor to my carbon footprint but I'm not sure what I can do to make significant change. Admittedly, I drive a medium petrol vehicle but I can not switch to the train here in Abu Dhabi because there aren't any until now but it could be at the end of this year in Dubai. I could use the bus but I can not see that it would make much difference as my journey to a college is only a few minutes. My car has been well serviced and I've had it for 5 years. I believe it pollutes a lot less than most of the local buses I've seen, which also happen to be very unsafe in my experience.

With regard to air travel, I prefer to fly from the UAE to Europe to spend my summer holiday every year.

With regard to food, my diet is very healthy and I can't observe what I can do to make it better apart, presumably, judging from the quiz, from becoming vegetarian or vegan. I play football every day and eat a variety of food which has high nutritional value.

No comments:

Post a Comment